Hey, all. One of the new blogger friends at "MomUndecided" (momundecided.blogspot.com) had, on one of her posts, good stories about Christmas with her family -- how our families tell and re-tell the same old-time stories, and we never tire of them. So I shared one of my stories with her in her comments section and she was so kind to say, "Great story on my blog - you should post things like that on here!" So, that is precisely what I am going to do!
OK, on to my story!!! This one is about my mother, Fran, when she was a little girl, living in Astoria, Queens, New York. The family was quite poor when she was young, plus her mother died when she was only five years old. So, when she was little, she and her sisters would go next door to play with the little girl neighbor, only because the little girl's mother would give them all lemon cookies and lemonade. My mother said as soon as they had the goodies, she and her sisters would leave. Isn't that terrible???? I always said, "Ma! That is horrible!!" and she would say, "I know! We were terrible. But we were poor and no one ever baked anything for us. We just wanted those cookies!" Now, mind you, my mother was the nicest, most generous, most unselfish person in the world. That's why her doing this when she was little was so unbelievable! I made her tell and re-tell that story all the time. My son, when he was small, also enjoyed the story and couldn't believe his Gee-Ma would do that when she was little.
Hope you enjoyed the story -- Thanks for visiting!
Best regards,
Gloria


Hi, Gloria...
ReplyDeleteI think I would do just about anything for lemon cookies, too! ;-)
It's funny, too, that your mother was such a sweetheart that you were incredulous. I used to feel that way when my grandmother would tell me stories of her fighting with her brother. She once pushed him off the back of a horse! She was an angel, but she clearly had her lapse moments.
She used to tell one about the Methodist minister leaning over their cistern (they lived in a Victorian house in the country) to get a drink of water, and his false teeth fell into the cistern! Then they had to drain it to get the teeth out. I made her tell it over and over, too. I'm not quite sure what my fascination was, but she must have felt like a broken record. ;-)
XO,
Sheila
I'm so glad you shared that sweet story about your dear mother with us Gloria. She sounds like my kinda gal! I think this would make for a great blog party, don't you? You could be the host of a new weekly series where we all share stories from our past! There - I just volunteered you. Ha! I'm sure we all have great stories that would make for some entertaining reading.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Kim
Hi Gloria,
ReplyDeleteHow sad that your mom lost her mother at such a tender age. I do love your story though! I certainly grew up in a family of storytellers. I always just thought that's what families did -- they trotted out their favorite family stories as often as possible. It's nice when those stories are passed on to new generations, as this one has been to your son.
Hope the rest of your week goes well.
Bye for now,
Bill
Thanks for sharing that story. It put a smile on my face. I bet she made up for it by doing nice things for others when she grew up!
ReplyDeleteBrittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl)
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com
Such a sweet story ... thanks for sharing that with us!
ReplyDeleteSue