~~~~~

Mytoi Gardens

Mytoi Gardens
~~~~~~~~Taken inside Mytoi Gardens on Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vinyard (Photo by Gloria)~~~~~ -- Blog Content/Photos: Copyright © 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- All Rights Reserved.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Celebrating Black History Month ~ Mother Hale


Greetings to all! February is Black History Month, and one of the people I would like to tell you about, and honor, is Mother Hale. You might not have ever even heard of her. As many of you know, I am from Brooklyn, NY -- and I heard of Mother Hale when I was younger, when I lived in B'kyn... May I tell you about Mother Hale?

Her name was Clara McBride Hale. I first heard about her, oh, goodness... maybe in the 1980's... when I was in my 20's? Mother Hale lived in Harlem (she was originally from North Carolina and grew up in Philadelphia, PA). She moved to NYC after she married, and she and her husband had two children of their own. I remember that I either read about her, or maybe saw a local show about her all of those years ago; all I know is that from that time on, she made a big impression on me. Why? Well, what she would do is take in children who needed to be cared for. Her husband died in 1938, so she began caring for children in her home... I'm not sure if she was compensated or not in the beginning, when she first started; but I DO know that in her later years, she would take children in for FREE when mothers would drop them off at her door, be it from poverty, drugs, whatever. I remember they said that Mother Hale never refused taking in a child. She would care for these kids, feed them, clothe them, raise them, educate them, all with help from her own money and from donations. How wonderful is that?

Anyway, I hope that you will enjoy my honoring Mother Hale during Black History Month. I also hope you enjoy the photos below that I gathered from the internet.

I would normally have asked if you could contribute to the Mother Hale House for the babies and children but, alas, there was scandal on the part of her daughter in 2001 (long after Mother Hale passed away). It was written that her daughter misappropriated funds from the foundation, so the Hale House for live-in children is no longer -- but they DO still have day-care and community services. And if you are wondering: Yes, I have donated $ myself. I would never ask anyone to do something that I, myself, have not done. :)

Anyway, here are the photos.... I will give the link to the website, to read more, at the end of the post...



As you can see, she was honored by the White House (there she is with Nancy Reagan). Please visit the website to read about how, in 1985, President Reagan honored Mrs. Hale!




HONORING ~
Clara McBride Hale: April 1, 1905 - December 18, 1992
Here's the website -- Please visit to read more or donate to the day-care/community services if you would like to... Even if you don't feel moved to donate, please click on to just to read more about Mother Hale and honor her this month! Thank you!
Click HERE.
Best,
Gloria
Note: Photos courtesy of Google Images.

13 comments:

  1. I do remember her -- A wonderful post about a woman who can inspire us all to be better people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloria,
    What an inspiring lady! Thank you for sharing about this special person!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so sweet, g. wonderful person. lovely thing she did for children. sorry her dd messed it up. mother h. is the lord's own disciple.

    dropping by to let you know i will be gone soon. sigh. left full note on blog, but you know my computer woes. will miss you.

    h-ppy v-d-y. code. ;-p

    xoxoxoxoxo,

    s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredble woman...with a huge heart! Thanks for sharing, Ms. G!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very inspiring story, Gloria! Thanks for sharing....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember her, used to teach my class about her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gloria, this was so neat. Thank you for making sure her story is shared with those of us who didn't know it. What a heart Mrs. Hale had, doing like Mother Theresa said for us to, do small things with great love.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving me such a lovely comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day, my friend.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Gloria.

    I'm really enjoying your blog. This post is very inspiring. Good jib!


    Thank you so much for being so nice on your comment. It made me feel really happy!
    I hope to see you there frequently! :-)

    Have a wonderful day!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    Post of the Day: Canadian Interior Designer Sarah Richardson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi li'l sis. What a lovely tribute to an amazing woman. Thank you for telling us about Mother Hale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Brooklyn on Bayridge Pkwy for quite a few years...I know of Mother Hale and her great ork and it was very sad to see her daughter stain her Mothers name and the important work she did for those children...Wonderful post thank you for sharing and reminding us how important for us to all shine our lights brightly...God Bless Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. She was a very amazing and loving woman. Thank you for sharing her wonderful story. It's a great reminder that we can all be heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What s sweet lady. I admire people who are so selfless. Thanks for sharing her story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful and inspiring tribute to this sweet lady. Gloria you are truly a loving person! Thank you for sharing this story with us! Sorry I missed your giveaway, maybe next time. Luv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment -- it's appreciated!