~~~~~

Mytoi Gardens

Mytoi Gardens
~~~~~~~~Taken inside Mytoi Gardens on Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vinyard (Photo by Gloria)~~~~~ -- Blog Content/Photos: Copyright © 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- All Rights Reserved.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

PHOTOS of Hurricane Irene

FINALLY! I know, I know, anyone reading this is saying, "Gloria is finally posting hurricane photos NOW? It took her long enough!"
I am sorry for the delay and hope you are still interested in seeing them! My son took these photos when he went on the following day after Hurrican Irene. Let's see, the hurricane was on Sunday, September 28th, and he took most of these the following day. We were so lucky that not one tree or branch came down on our property. The good Lord was REALLY protecting us.
We were without power for five days... from Sunday through Thursday (we got our power back Thurs night). Believe it or not, parts of the power outage were fun... we did everything outside, grilling our food, and we played Monopoly and Jenga and Poker too!! We had fun and it was great quality time with my son. Very, very special...
Well, for four days, that is. I will be totally honest to let you know that on the fifth day, things started to get stressful and we were REALLY getting on each others' nerves!! LOL! So much for bonding time. Now I know: four days, GREAT; five days, UH-OH. Keep that in mind for any black-outs you may experience in the future. ;)

Well, let me show the photos now...
I wanted to show this one -- of our cat, Little Buddy, relaxing and taking a nap in my son's room... Isn't she cute?

The day after the hurricane, my son went in to Burger King in the next town to get us something and when he saw the loooooong line, he said forget it! Do you believe that line??





A couple more of the next town over from us...



And here starts the photos of the downed trees and downed wires in our town...








This is the shopping center in our town, not bad at all, only one tree...





More of our town...






This is our town's Senior Center. My son just drove in there to see how it fared, and it fared very well!



More of the downed trees and wires in our town...




























And here is a bright spot: this is a little bush/tree I bought this Spring in honor of my mother (she passed away almost six years ago) because it is supposed to have blue-ish flowers (her favorite color) and after the hurricane, I was SHOCKED to see its first little flower! I think it was a sign from my Mom that she was protecting us the whole time during the hurricane. :)







And this was the best part of the "black out" that we had after the hurricane: my son would go in the morning to the next town and get us coffee and delicious, soft, fresh, buttered sesame bagels from Dunkin Donuts!

And, when our lights came back on, we celebrated with a few fireworks...








Thank you for visting and, again, thanks to all of you who worried about my son and I and left such nice comments on my previous two posts. I appreciate all of you!!! xxoo


Best,

Gloria

15 comments:

  1. Well, over here in Fishkill, NY, we just had a lot of rain, we didn't lose power.
    Love,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these photos! It is so chilling to see the damage. I have to agree with you about the beautiful flower. It had to have been a sign from your mom. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gloria!

    Wow, what a lot of wind damage. Did you mostly avoid the flooding then? That was so nice of your Mom to take care of you, and I like how you guys celebrated with fireworks. Too cool, and a wonderful post.

    Hugs,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow very glad ya'll missed damage! And such a pretty area ya'll live in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your town did have a lot of downed trees! I can tell that you are an optimist by nature because five days without power would be horrible frustrating. I lived without power for about that many when we had an ice storm growing up in Wisconsin -- it was NOT fun and thankfully we had a gas stove to keep us warm. I think all of you that lost power should post on survival skills -- like what did you do to prepare and what food did you or would you store. Glad that things are better. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANSWERS TO KATHY AND JONI'S QUESTIONS:
    I am going to write to them (since they won't come back here to see the answers), but if anyone else wanted to know: In our area where I am, we didn't have any flooding, thank God. And per Joni's suggestion, maybe I WILL do a post in the Fall on survival skills if one has a power outage! I have a couple of things on a list of what to do (practical and fun stuff!)and a list of foods (and other stuff) to get the next time something like this happens. Thanks to Jodi for the suggestion!
    gv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that was quite a hurricane! Strange enough, all we got in Georgia was some pleasantly cool weather....oh, and one brief visit to the basement for a tornado warning! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not bad at all. Well except for the 5 days without power! I remember driving through Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi after Katrina. It was BAD! But now it's all rebuilt with new stuff.
    The line at Burger king looks like the lines here at In and Out Burgers. That's everyday and people willingly and happily stand in lines 3x as long.
    I'm glad you made it through in one piece and perhaps even a little closer to your son.
    Enjoy your electricity! :)
    hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gloria,

    This was so crazy!!!

    I'm so glad you're back! I loved reading your comments. They always make me feel happy. Thank you for being so caring, my friend!

    Have a blessed week!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you made it through. We lost power too, and on day 3 it got VERY annoying once the sun went down. But some had no water either!
    We had 400 out of pocket, trees that went down and had to be cut, but not as bad as it could have been.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gloria,
    Thank you for posting these pictures. I'm so glad to that you and son escaped harm. I've lived on the Gulf Coast almost my whole life and know,, firsthand, what hurricanes and tropical storms are all about. We were without power for two because of Hurricane Frederick in 1979. No fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gloria, Thanks for the pictures. I am so glad you and your son came through safely. I am sure your Mom was watching over you. Also thank you for the beautiful tribute to the 9/11 victims.
    My daughter and I will be in NYC in October. We were able to secure passes to visit the Memorial. They are supposedly in the mail. I will be glad when I have them in my hands. I have been to ground zero twice, I will be pleased to see something a little more peaceful on that spot. xoxoGinger

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so grateful, Gloria, that you escaped this storm with so little damage. Praise the Lord! Looks like Little Buddy slept through it all as cats are apt to do. ;-)

    I wanted to stop by and thank you for your sweet comments on my last post. I appreciate you and your friendship more than I can say. Sending you much, much love across the miles and wishing all good things for you and yours.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. Those empty chairs in the above post are such a poingnant reminder of what we lost that day. Love you... XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Gloria, Thank you for visiting. I am sorry that I have not visited sooner. I need to catch up. I am glad that you and your son did well during the hurricane. I did pretty good considering the homes around me flooded pretty bad. I counted my blessings as I saw the curbs with so many belongings that were lost by my neighbors. The kids and I got tired of the lights being out! and showering in ice cold water, but all in all we did well and made the best of it. We knew just how blessed we were. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment -- it's appreciated!