~~~~~

Mytoi Gardens

Mytoi Gardens
~~~~~~~~Taken inside Mytoi Gardens on Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vinyard (Photo by Gloria)~~~~~ -- Blog Content/Photos: Copyright © 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- All Rights Reserved.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

10th Anniversary of 9/11

Dear All: I wanted to do a post in memory of 9/11, on this 10th anniversary. I have been watching the different shows today (especially those on PBS) and have been crying my eyes out. I'm sure there are many of you doing the same.
One story that I think is so touching relates to the photo below...
In Bryant Park in NYC, they have set up 2,753 empty chairs, honoring those that perished in the 9/11 tragedy. The exhibit was created by artist Sheryl Oring.
Bryant Park is located between 40th and 42nd Street on Sixth Avenue, in back of the 42nd Street Library in Manhattan. In the 80's, I worked on 40th Street, across from Bryant Park in the American Standard Building (which is now a hotel). Since the time I worked there, the city has cleaned it up, and it is now a wonderful, safe park.
I think this photo is very moving, and says a lot... it shows all of the precious lives lost, and relays in this humble way that they have not been forgotten...
As one lady, who lost a brother, is quoted in the article: "It is a simple and touching memorial..."
If you'd like to read the article, please click HERE.



I did a post last year on the anniversary of 9/11. If you'd like to read it, please click HERE. It also includes a personal story of a friend's NYC firefighter husband, who was there on 9/11. I hope you might have a minute to read it.

Best,
Gloria


P.S. I've turned comments off for this post. Note: Photo of Bryant Park courtesy of msn.com/Sophia Hall, WCBS 880

No comments: