~~~~~

Mytoi Gardens

Mytoi Gardens
~~~~~~~~Taken inside Mytoi Gardens on Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vinyard (Photo by Gloria)~~~~~ -- Blog Content/Photos: Copyright © 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- All Rights Reserved.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

In Memory of our Beloved Cat, Little Buddy

Today was a very sad day for my son and I... we had to put our little cat, Buddy, to sleep. She was the best little cat. She came to us about seven years ago, a stray. I remember when my son and I were out one day and when we got home, as we were walking towards the door, we heard a faint 'meowing' in the woods. I said to my son, "What the heck is that? A cat??" So we saw her, hiding in the woods, looking at us. We tried to coax her out, and I said to her, "You are like a little baby crying there! Please come out!" She didn't come over right away, so we left food out for her. We could tell that she wasn't a kitten, she looked grown, so I wondered who could just get rid of her, or maybe she was lost? We tried to find out if she was missing, we looked at posters of lost cats... nothing.

My son named her "Buddy" and I called her Little Baby once in a while too, from my thinking of her meowing like a little baby when we first saw her in the woods.

Little Buddy was the best cat. She never gave us any problems, was never sick, was very affectionate, very loyal, very sweet. She was always very healthy all of these years, so it was a surprise to us the week before last that she started breathing funny and not eating well. So after a couple of days of this, we took her to the vet last Saturday and, to make a long story short, the vet advised that she most likely had a heart condition and asthma. The vet suggested we put her to sleep that day! It was a shock. My son wouldn't let us do it. He said we should give her a chance.

So we took her home and for this past week, she just went downhill. Bad, bad breathing, no eating at all, drinking a drop of water every so often (that we had to give to her from a syringe). Even weak, she got up and walked over to the litter box. She was a little trooper, so how can one give up on a cat in the HOPE that she could get better??? But she had gotten SO thin, in one short week. We also resorted to feeding a catfood "slurry" with another syringe, just to get something into her.

Little Buddy was just weak and ready to go last night. I read online that when a cat is dying, they like to remain in a favorite spot, and stay there until they go... She stayed on the end of the couch all night and I stayed up with her to keep her company. She was restless and breathing heavy... Her back leg was starting to go, so she couldn't even move around that well. I'm surprised she made it through the night.

So we took her to the vet this morning to put her out of her misery. It was very sad and I was crying like a baby. My son and I stayed with her to the end, so at least she knew we were there. She got two injections, one to calm her and, after some minutes, another to put her to sleep. The vet said that an animal's hearing, after the shot, is the last thing to go, so we made sure to talk to her so she could hear us and know we were there with her. We left her there to have her cremated, and they will return the ashes to us.

When we got home, the house seemed so lonely! Little Buddy was such a good cat... In all the years that we had her, she never made any trouble. And she was healthy, she never even had any ailments ever. Thus her going downhill so fast made it that much harder to bear.

I also want to thank some of my blogging friends for listening this week and being there for me and for your sympathies when I've emailed you this week. It meant the world to me.

And thank you to all those taking the time to read this story. Here are a few photos of our Little Buddy...


This is a photo of Buddy from September that my son took... she was peacefully sleeping in his room. She looked so healthy and happy, snoozing so nicely...





And this is my favorite of my Little Baby below. Doesn't she look so sweet? And she sure was. I was so lucky to have had this little cat find her way to us. She was just the sweetest thing...Thanks to all of you for sharing my memorial to our Little Buddy. We loved her so much.

I hope to get back into blogging in the coming days... I'm sorry I haven't visited in a while. I am looking forward to visiting you all.
Best,

Gloria

32 comments:

  1. Gloria, I am in tears. I'm so very, very sorry about Buddy. My heart goes out to you and Tain, but oh, what a lucky cat Buddy was to have you in her life! I know you feel blessed, too. But the best day of her life was when she came out of the woods and found you two!

    Holding you close at heart...

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gloria, 4 years ago I lived the same sad situation with my little dog, Pupa.I found her when she was a beautiful little "woman"left on the road,she became like a daughter for me,she couldn't say words,but able to communicate with eyes,movements and "bauuu bau"language.We tooke care of her many times in 12 years,triing to do the same the last one...but no good answer.So,looking at her suffering I took her to the vet and criing a lot decided to let her to pass.It' s an hard choose,but good people do because of their love for them.I felt guilty for a long time,guilty because I coudn't save her,but in the same time I remember how muche suffering she had and I see in my heart that it was the right decision.So you and your family have a little "Meow" angel to protect you from the sky.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you, Gloria. It's easy to see why Little Buddy was a cherished member of your household. When it came time, even though it was hard, you did the humane thing. As the saying goes, you can tell a lot about a person by they way they treat animals. From the first moment to the last, Little Buddy's life with you was filled with love and dignity.

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying again. Every time I read of having to put a beloved pet down, it just breaks my heart. It was reassuring for me to read that their hearing is the last to go. I held my Kippy and talked to her for a long, long time after the injection. You have been blessed to have such a true friend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gloria,
    I know it hurts so very much when you have to say goodbye to a furry member of your family. How lucky she was to have found you and have a family who loved her.
    Sending Hugs your way,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you both! That is such a hard thing to do. I had to make that decision once and it was the hardest decision to make. But you did the right thing. Little Buddy is in a much better place and no longer suffering. My prayers are with you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry hun, I wish I could have done more, much love to you n your son n I wish I was there to give big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Gloria, I am so sorry, and am so sad for you guys. I know that you will miss her so much. This made me cry; I remember going through this when it was time for our 16 year old Raymond dog to go. I'm praying for you and love you lots.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Through my tears I'm sending you extra special hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gloria, I am so sad to hear about your kitty. They are part of the family. We had to put our loved Mandy down due to old age health problems and it broke our hearts. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for giving this sweet soul a loving home...I had to put my MaryCat to sleep last April & it was heatbreaking. Just remember, there are many animals in shelters who need you as much as you need them. Please consider adopting from a shelter & saving a life in honor of lil Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohhhhhhh... I really am so sorry about little Buddy. I have had 2 dogs that have died on me, and I know that lonely feeling....
    Love,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about Little Buddy :-(

    Maybe God will send you another little kitty to take care of :-)

    I hope you have a nice day Gloria and thanks for your recent comment on My Blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sorry to hear about your sweet cat....wish you all the best...Mel's Designs

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about Buddy. I have been thru it with 2 cats, and 2 dogs. Never easy. They are so loyal and love us unconditionally. The best cure is to march right down to the animal shelter and adopt a little kitten when you are through grieving for Buddy. There are so many little loveys out there that need a loving home. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gloria-
    She is beautiful! I'm so sorry for your loss...our animals certainly do become a part of our families....so it is SO hard when we lose them....
    I know this is my first time to your blog, so I hope it's ok that I commented on this post...it was just so touching....I couldn't help it....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gloria, so sorry about your loss. We had to put down one of our sweet dogs, Tess Memorial weekend and it is heartbreaking. Pets are the most wonderful gift from God.
    Hugs, hugs, hugs,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww! I'm so sorry Gloria. That is truly a horrible thing to have to go through. Reminds me of how my Fifi had to go. Do get another kitty. There are so many out there without homes or love. And getting another one really does help you heal. Let me know how you're doing.
    Love and hugs,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  19. How are you holding up??
    Love,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Comment from ME -- I answered 'Lorraine' above, but anyone reading this... isn't she so sweet to leave another comment to make sure I am OK? THAT is the epitome of a caring person.
    gv

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to THANK EVERYONE WHO LEFT A COMMENT!!
    Because I really cannot tell you how you got me through the previosu week. Losing a pet is a TOUGH thing. I truly mean it that your comments meant THE WORLD TO ME. I am so much better now, and part of it is because of YOU, my blogging friends. Thank you...
    Gloria xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry Gloria, I missed this post. I was in COlorado visiting family. It is so hard to loose a pet. They just have special places in our hearts. it is such a heart breaking thing to go through. (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gloria I've been away from blogging, but saw your post thia AM. I am so very sorry for your loss! She was part of your family so I know the loss is profound. Please accept my apology for missing your post. Take care dear friend...time will heal, but Little Buddy will always be a part of your heart! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gloria, I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you are well...Love you!
    I left comment on the earlier post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no, I am so sorry that I did not see this sooner. I am so sorry that you lost her. You were so nice to give her such a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Gloria, I am very sorry for your heartbreak. It is so traumatic to have to go through this. I had to go through this and it is so hard. I will pray for you and your son to feel better. My prayers are with you, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Gloria waht sad when our pets die I understand you so much dear, the only thing I can tell you I said my daugther when die our little bunny that I believe in a heaven special for pets and so is nice to think Buddy stayed with you all this time:)besos dear

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry Gloria. Our pets are so important and the lose is so heartfelt. Hope you are doing well.

    My best,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gloria,
    I hadn't heard from you for awhile, so I came looking for you. Sorry to hear about Little Buddy. It sounds like she was a wonderful kitty. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Many Blessings to you and your love ones this Thanksgiving..Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dearest Gloria,

    So sorry to read this on Thanksgiving Day... But in a way, it is a Thanksgiving. How in the world do our beloved furbabies FIND US?! They give us their unconditional love and in return we love them to pieces. It is hard, I know first hand what it means to loose a pet. My Mauzie the dachshund in 1985 and after that two felines. One got run over by a car, not wounded but dead and almost before the eyes of Pieter my husband... So sad and she was only 1½ years. The second one was sad too as he was about 4 and died of heart worm due to the wrong flea control that includes heartworm. You trust a vet and believe that what they give you protects them best. It was hard to get over that as it was not necessary to die that young. Than the mama cat we rescued in Acapulco and did bring home with us disappeared. She got most likely kidnapped as she was such a beauty. We had her only 9 months and her 5 kittens were 7 months old when she vanished. So hard to live on without her. But in the assurance that one day we will be reunited with our loved ones and our beloved pets we move on. Keeping special memories forever in our hearts and treasuring photos.
    A tight hug to you and love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Gloria, I am so sorry! I have thre adopted strays, and I wonder how long I will be able to love them...I am so happy that she found you, I am sure you made her life better as well. What a sweetie, I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment -- it's appreciated!