
My mom and dad would buy me new pencils, erasers, copy books, book covers, new crayons, and a new pencil case. Oh, and new colored pencils for the homework that involved drawing things! Oh, and a new schoolbag! In the 60's, everything was just so nice. There weren't HUNDREDS of things from which to choose, and we all had the same thing practically. No one was jealous of what the other had (well, sometimes), because we mostly had identical items. I loved putting all of my new pencils in my pencil case and getting everything ready in my schoolbag for the first day of school. Oh, I was so happy! I didn't have to worry about new clothes because we all wore a uniform. My mother was the one who had to worry about ironing the shirts and getting the socks, ugly shoes, uniform, etc. THEN, it hit me. Oh no! School meant getting up early and studying and tests and actually GOING to school!!!!!!!! With the NUNS! (I went to a Catholic school.) Then those supplies didn't look THAT good anymore...
Picture of my elementary school, S.S. Cyril & Methodius, in Brooklyn, NY:

Know what else I miss? I miss my son being little and getting HIM ready for the first day of school. Oh, the joy again of sharing the fun of him getting a new backpack with the Power Rangers on it,
or maybe Spiderman, whomever was his hero of the day. Oh the fun of buying new crayons, colored pencils, gluesticks, and new outfits for the first week of school. And that FIRST day of school?? Oh, what fun for me, being all excited, making him a favorite breakfast, picking out his "outfit" for the first day, helping him get dressed when he was little, and the best: taking his picture before he went off for his first day! And my poor little boy saying: "Mom! I don't want my shirt tucked in! Mom, I don't want another picture taken. Please stop!" :)
Picture of my son's elementary school in Connecticut:

So for everyone out there reading this, I hope that you enjoyed this post and that it brought back fond memories of your own first days of school when you were little; and for all of the young moms out there, getting ready for your kids' first day of school, I am jealous; but I am happy for you too. I hope you enjoy it and relish it!
Best regards,
Gloria
I was always excited about picking out a new lunchbox every year...Mom picked out all our other supplies...and I also went to a Catholic school...up until my senior year when we moved to Texas. I remember one time a nun came up to several of us girls sitting on the curb...she told us to get off of it right that instant, else we'll get concrete sickness! Say what?!?
ReplyDeleteOh yes, Gloria! I remember the first day of school, pretty exciting but I was a little nervous too. But I love having new outfits, new shoes and new school supplies..Christine
ReplyDeleteI agree. I miss the first day of school too. I always liked the fall, and still do, but back then or until last year when my youngest graduated from high school, it meant a return to routine and a fresh start. That is what I miss that whole new start feeling. Now I have to wait until the first of the year to get that. :)
ReplyDeleteHow lucky you are to have a stationery store still. Only in the big cities can these kinds of places survive. In my world it all big box stores and chains. Sad.
Have a great week and if I were you I'd run down to Jam's and buy yourself something.
Pam
Reply to PAM: I wish I could run to Jam's and get something! But I am in CT now, no longer in Brooklyn. Like you, all I have around here are the big stores/chains. Oh well...
ReplyDeleteAnd you are right: the start of school always DID bring a new start feeling and return to routine. I miss it too.
gv
You know what I liked best about the first day of school? New Crayolas! I'll let you in on a secret....I still like them because there are so many wonderful new colors. Hope all is well with you. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHi there...I so miss my kids being in school too, those were precious days! :D
ReplyDeleteHi Gloria! I am a little younger, but I did watch a lot of Dean Martin movies when they were on t.v. Your post brings back memories of watching all the old classics! Oh, and I miss all the old metal lunch boxes we had - our kids use the thermal, fabric, non-pvc, no lead, etc. lunch boxes. Not nearly as cute as what we were able to get!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! I really, truly, appreciate it!
Hugs-
Sue
Gloria, thank you for visiting my blog!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE new notebooks for first day of school. And still do love new notebooks, even I don't go to school anymore. Especially the cute ones from Japan and Korea!
Oh what a fun post! And you are so right-what a fun time it was. I loved the smell of my new shoes (shoe addiction started early, lol!); back then we got new shoes once a year for school and my Dad made sure there was a lot of room to grow in them. I still love getting my son ready for the first day and he still enjoys it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for you comments on his graduation and the formula. Your comment about giving the formula with love is a wonderful perspective that I won't forget. While I still miss cooking, you are correct in that it is still nourishment and I can do that with love. Beautiful. Thank you for the reminder.
Yes, there is something magical about the first day of school. Even though my school days are behind me and I don't have children of my own, it still reminds me of fresh beginnings. Jam's stationary looks like a great place too. I have always loved the freshness of new supplies!
ReplyDeletePS Thank you for visiting The Tiny Tudor today & your sweet comment : )
I used to love that first day of school too, and all the lovely, new, clean school supplies. In Australia the school year begins at the end of January, so we're mid-year here.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog.
Kate